Here's my strategy for getting our "plan" put in to action:
- Get online and research for your "plan".
- Preparation for your areas most likely disasters.
- Communication, including designating out-of-area emergency contacts
- Escape routes and meeting spots within and outside your neighborhood
- Accommodations for pets and family members with special nbeeds
- Supplies. Store in an easy to grab location. Use a good water tight container.
Non perishable food (three day supply)
Battery powered radio
First aid kit
Seven day supply of medications
Copies of documents (medical info, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies, family and emergency contact information
- Protocol for shutting off utilities
Once a plan is in place you will need to sit down for a family meeting to explain the plan. You can check out resources for your area through the American Red Cross, your Governor's office of Emergency Services, etc.